Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Charenton Locks and fishing

I went out to Charenton locks this morning to see the water level for my self. There are alot of rumors going around about just how high the water is. Well I can tell you that there is about 5 to 7 foot more before the water reaches the top of the locks. There is a plate welded across the locks to hold them shut and also there are sand bags to add another 3 feet of height. I spoke with 3 game wardens and I was told that as long as you don't ride on top the levee you can go check it out. Also the ramp at Charenton Levee is open. You basically launch from the top of the levee. The water is about a foot below the landing at Myette Point and at Bayou Benoit the water has covered the launch. Last night between 6pm and 6 am they was over 50 deer , lots of hogs and several rabbits that were seen crossing the levee between Charenton and Calumette. One good thing there was no one on the levee harassing any of the animals.

On another note. I fished down in Cocodrie this past week, 4 times. Sunday was the first time I noticed the fresh water moving into Little Grand Calliou. The water was extremely dirty. In Lake Boudreaux the water has been clear with lots of specks under the diving birds. The north end of the lake in the marsh has been great with plenty of red fish. The baits we used were gulp naturals and Yum Curly tails chartreuse color. Also we used Deadly Dudleys in Glow color, on red fish magic spinner baits and chartreause top dogs. Well that's all I have for now. Headed to Destin next week, so if I can sneak a dive trip in Ill get some pics. Well anyway be safe out there, and have good week on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment